Monday, February 11, 2008

Sore Fingers!


Today I went in to see if I qualified for a research study that the university here is doing. It is testing the effects of the cactus pear fruit on blood sugar in pre-diabetic/overweight people. The good news is I qualified and (at the end of the 16 week study) will get $300. The bad news is, to qualify you have to be pre-diabetic and overweight. YUCK!! But here goes nothin'. I have to take this plant extract from the above pictured fruit in a pill form. On par with most research studies, I won't know if I have the placebo or the actual plant extract. I am kinda excited about it since it seems really easy.
The qualification process was not hard but it took a long boring time! I had to fast for 12 hours (not hard since on my new healthy eating plan I no longer eat ANYTHING after dinner) then go into a lab and drink this glucose drink. If anyone out there gotten tested for gestational diabetes during their pregnancy, it was the same solution. I got a finger prick taken before, after 30 mins, after 60 mins, after 90 mins and then again after 120 mins. It was the most boring 2 hours of my life. They had some magazines but they were all economic and sports. I actually read an interesting artical on paramones, or whaterver they are called. But next time I will definatly bring something to entertain myself. But after all those finger pricks my little fingers are so sore! Luckily they did it in my non-dominate hand so it isn't as bad but OUCH!
Another fun, exciting thing was the fact that I went walking this morning with my good friend Marcia. We got our hineys out of bed at 6am and met at the church at 6:30am (it was supposed to be 6:20 but I was a bit late). We walked 3.6 miles in one hours and I was excited about that. We are going again tomorrow and I hope to make it a regular thing. Gets in our shameful gossip time and I really feel the burn. I have to admit it is hard for me to get up that early since I would love to sleep in till 9am every morning but we are supposed to rise early- right?! Hopefully, it will not only help in my weight goals but also put me on a better track toward a healthier life. Have a great week and stay warm wherever you are!!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Good for you Jessie! My hubby gets up every day at 6am and works on homework and such. I've been trying to get up earlier...but 6 just doesn't sound very fun! My favorite time to get up is 8:30.
I had to get a diabetic test before I donated my kidney and I hear ya on the most BORING 2 hours ever! The nurse who put the IV line into my vein didn't do such a hot job either and my arm hurt if I moved it. Ick!

MarciaAnne said...

I prefer "gab-session" and I am a morning-person. Now if only I weren't a night person too...