Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Twilight Confusion

I must say I was looking forward to seeing Twilight when it came out. I had heard good things about the books but had never read them. The previews looked really neat so I knew I wanted to go see the movie. The Friday it opened Megean and I headed out to the brand new theatre in Richmond. I fell in love with this movie and before it was even over, I decided I wanted to read the books.
Much to my surprise there were very mixed reviews. I couldn't imagine how someone couldn't like this movie. But I guess it is a bit of a chick flick so I didn't expect anything too much in reviews. I thought it might also have to do with the fact that there were things left out from the book. Lets face it folks, you can't take any amazing book and put everything in a movie. If we have learned anything from Harry Potter it is that it takes to long so if you are going to see a movie that was made from a book, expect that there will be things missing.
The surprising topic of criticism was that it was anti-feminist and cheesy. A common question asked was "How could any independent woman enjoy this anti-feminist, corny movie?" Maybe we like it because it is corny. There are very few of us that get to have corny in our lives and so we love it in movies. As for anti-feminist, our country has always swung from one extreme to the other. Maybe after decades of burning our bras we are finally ready for a cute guy to throw us on his back and run up a tree with us. On a personal note, as a woman who is getting a divorce, I dream of a man telling me that I am his life and he will protect me. Yes that is cheesy and gushy but come on, its a movie!
I think my main purpose in writing this is not to tell everyone they should love this movie but instead to say "chill out." It is just a movie! If a guy is threatened because teen girls are raising their bars and guys are going to have to start opening doors and holding hands again then they need to suck it up. It is a movie and I don't think I should be embarrassed about who knows that. But after reading reviews I find myself worried that people will look at me differently since I like this cheesy, mushy, teen oriented, anti-feminist, chick flick. So this is my declaration: I love Twilight! I have seen it twice already and might see it again. I don't' mind that things were left out from the book. I don't mind that Bella likes Edwards protection. I don't mind that it is overly dramatic. I just enjoy the movie!
After writing this, I feel a little bit silly for getting annoyed at these reviews. But I haven't blogged in a while so this is better than nothing.

1 comment:

Kami said...

Way to go! Jessie, I completely agree with you. Nothing wrong with a little old fashioned romance. Seriously. What is with this world anyway? You're great! I miss your smile and your fabulous daughter. Just thought I'd pipe up and let you know that!