Friday, November 7, 2008

Dance Class Diva. . . kinda

Aiden has been doing dance since we moved back to Kentucky, so about two months. I hesitated to write about it because the first 3 weeks didn't go very well and I wasn't sure if she would stick with it. For two years all I have heard about is how much she wanted to take dance classes. She would dance around the house and in stores but we just couldn't make it work. In an attempt to distract her from what is going on in her little life, I signed her up.
We got the shoes, the outfit, the bun and off we went. For the first 3 weeks she stood there! She didn't move, she didn't sit, she didn't look at anyone, she just stood! I was horrified! But the other parents encouraged me that she would come out of her shell and get better. We are so lucky to have a wonderful teacher. She would put Aiden in her lap and do the warm-ups with her. Even the other little girls would grab her by the hand and help her do the things they were supposed to do.
So we stuck in there and then on the 4th week of class the dance switch was flipped on. All of the sudden she danced. It was amazing and I know it sounds cheesy but I almost cried. I was tearing up when one of the mom's I am closer too leaned over and said "Don't cry. I know you want to." It was so funny. All the parents were cheering and telling Aiden how well she had done. It was such a little community for our tiny dancers.
As Aiden heads into her 3rd month of ballet/tap class, we had our first smile. She is so darn shy that even when she started dancing she still had a grumpy face and her hand over her face. But today she smiled and laughed and just looked like she was having fun. Aiden always had a blast at class but if you were to look at her then you would think that she was being tortured. They also got measured for their spring recital costumes. The beginning of December we have a meeting to find out the theme, music, and costume selections. We are all so excited!! The parents (I say parents because there are several Dad's that come every week to class. I was very impressed) and I have decided we want either a western theme or a Latin theme. They have practiced both and look adorable!! But I imagine they look so cute because they are our kids and they are 3 and 4 year olds. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

What a cutie!

Are you guys going to Bluegrass Dance Center?

MarciaAnne said...

I love her dance outfit. I am so glad that she is opening up on the dance floor. Way to hang in there mom.