
As I was cleaning houses today, I looked outside and saw pine trees covered with snow and thought to myself how beautiful it was. But then I wondered- would we be so inclined to think the snow is beautiful if it wasn't an indication that Christmas was upon us? If you think about it, snow does nothing but mess up our lives. We have to get up extra early to heat up our cars and remove all the snow and ice. If you are lucky enough to have a garage you have to deal with shoveling your driveway so you can back out. Also, there is so much extra stuff to buy in the winter. Snow boots, winter coats, ice scrapers, de-icer, hats, gloves, scarves are just some of the extra items. Not to mention the extra expense of running the heater and buying extra covers to keep you toasty during these winter months.
Instead, we think of hot chocolate and snow angels. Taking our kids out to make a snow man or having a snowball fight with our adorable hubbies. I loved watching Aiden last night, with wonder in her eyes, as she sat at her window watching the snow fall. This morning we woke up to quite a bit of snow and as I drove to work I smiled as I looked at our new white world. How beautiful it is to look at the trees and see how they almost glitter with the fresh snow. The chill didn't seem to bother me as I buddled up in my winter coat and gloves and thought about the prospect of buying new boots.
I guess seeing the world through my daughters eyes makes everything seem special and new. I love the snow and how it seems to make everyone a little bit more in the holiday spirit. It makes it worth all the hassle!
3 comments:
I don't know, I am still a bit of a Scrooge when snow is involved. I have trouble enjoying the fun when I am cold. My personal favorite Christmas was spent in South America where it was summer and I was very tan.
...and warm!
That is so beautiful! You are so right. Snow is worth nothing to us unless it is attached to x-mas. But if we see it through our kids eyes, it makes a world of difference.
Post a Comment