So a long while ago, my dad and step mom gave Aiden a book. I don't remember the exact title but it seemed like a cheesy self-help book for children. I know they check is blog so I hope they aren't offended but I never really read her that book before. It wasn't like I told her she couldn't read it. Just more like I never pointed it out as an option. Well, tonight she brought it too me as her bedtime story and it is way cute.
The part I was really impressed with is the end has a bunch of questions about the things covered in the book. Like who would she talk to if she were scared or what would she do if she were to hurt someone else's feelings. I didn't really expect her to answer these but she took them very seriously. It is a Christian book so it all centers around Heavenly Father. She thought long and hard about her answers.
Another cool thing was that it had her close her eyes and picture what she would want to be when she grew up. If you ask her she will say she wants to be a cheerleader because that is what her best friend wants to be. This occupation has been set in stone for months. But tonight when she closed her eyes she saw herself as an artist. How precious is that?! She could have seen herself as a deep sea diver for all I care, as long as it was her own dream and not her friends.
It just really gave us a chance to talk about some stuff that she seemed to need to talk to me about. Evidently she is still having some bad dreams. For a long time she had a recurring nightmare about a wolf coming to get her but I hadn't been woken up in a while so I hoped they had stopped. Tonight, we just had a great time talking about how the spirit can help you through trials and how you can lean on your family for help when you need it. I am SO counting this as FHE. It was great!!
(FHE=Family Home Evening. It is a thing we do in the LDS church where we set aside one night a week, usually Monday, to have a family night. We open with a prayer and song, have a small, gospel centered lesson and then usually have some goodies. Really good time to connect with your family and discuss topics in a smaller setting than church meetings.)
No comments:
Post a Comment