Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Our New Arrival

Jason and I are pleased to announce our new little bundle of joy. We are now the proud owners of a 1995 Ford Taurus station wagon. Well, we are slowly becoming proud owners. After we first purchased our little gem we had a BIG case of buyers remorse. I would like to share our story of the ups and downs we have had in just the 3 days we have had her. But first I would like to preface by saying Jason and I have had a very easy life when it comes to cars. My cars were all purchased for me (I know, I am spoiled) so their was very little leg work for me. On top of that they were all in great condition so there was very little upkeep. Jason bought his own cars but went through the best dealership ever and they took car of everything for him.
My aunt has Alzheimer's and we have been trying to get her to sell her car so she wasn't driving around without a licence and expired insurance and registration. She finally agreed and Jason and I went up to pick up the car. We knew it had a donut on it so we headed straight to Wal-Mart for a new tire. I knew she didn't' have the rim but I thought that it would be easy to get while we got the tire. NOPE!! Wal-Mart only has tires so we went to try a couple other places. We got a quote for $80 and $50 just for the rim and another $65+ for the tire. I was uber stressed and Jason and I haven't figured out how to be stressed and not get mad a each other because of it. So the whole day we were snappy and crabby. Later that evening I called my cousin to see if he knew a place we could get a rim for cheaper. He said he would let me know when he made some calls.
Tuesday we headed in to register the car. We thought this would be an in and out process but we were wrong. We got there and my aunt's care person happened to be there and gave me the name of a person to call and see if they had my aunt's tire. Our number was called and I texted my mom to have her check it out. We are sitting there doing all the paperwork and it is time to pay. I had brought cash because some places don't' take checks and some don't take cards so I thought I was covered. Come to find out part can be paid by cash but the other has to be check or money order. Guess who forgot her checkbook at home?!
They said I could run home and get it and just save the paper work. I take Jason to work and swing by the house, get my check book and head back. The rest I get finished up quickly and head back to Wal-Mart to get my oil changed. We are pretty sure that it hadn't been changed since my uncle passed. I am sitting there for about 1 1/2 hours when they call my name. Finally!! Turns out they are just letting me know they can't get my car started. I told them I hadn't had any problems before. They let me know it isn't my battery and they think my starter is on it's last leg. They eventually get it started about the time my mom calls me to let me know she tracked down the tire and he would drop it off that night so we could take it in in the morning.
This morning I drive to pick up the tire in the Envoy (trying to avoid too much driving on the donut). I then bring it home, put it in the wagon and head to the tire place. I could go to Wal-Mart and use Jason's employees discount but I wanted to see if I could get a good used one. I did find one and they put it on, disposed of the old tire and didn't charge me for anything except the tire. Yahoo!!
After all the drama and unexpected things that we have encountered with this car, I think it will be a good little car for us. With me going back to school this fall there was NO way for us to do it with one car. We are planning to keep it until it dies and then I am getting a bran new, fresh from the factory hybrid. But that won't be for a good long while so I am hoping this thing lasts that long. I don't know how many people made it to the end of this annoyingly long post but I just had to share our story. Hope it brought some laughs!
This is our little beauty! She is actually in pretty good shape for being 13 years old. No rust just a little bit of tree sap that won't come off after two car washes. I think I might have to pull a Paris Hilton and wash it myself.
I was pretty surprised how well it cleaned up with just a few baby wipes and a vacuum. It has cloth seats so that can be a disaster considering my aunt is a smoker and cloth just sucks that up.
P.S. I have not had any trouble with getting it started so I think it was because no one had been under the hood in years. Mom says she is a modest car and didn't like anyone looking under her skirt.

1 comment:

MarciaAnne said...

I made it to the end! Hooray for transportation. I'll have to come see it sometime.