Sunday, April 11, 2010

Perspective

Most of you know I teach the 4 and 5 year old class at church. These kids are adorable!! A couple of weeks ago I was trying to teach them about Testimonies. The first Sunday of every month we have Testimony meeting and people get up and share their testimonies. Makes sense right. I thought if we started to work on sharing out testimonies in class then it wouldn't be such a scary thing for them when they are older.

I gave a little summary on what it usually included and then let them come to the front and share. They had the beginning and the end perfect but the middle wasn't exactly filled with the spiritual stuffing I was hoping. Instead we heard about DS games, Barbies, Dollies, swing sets and many more things. But very little actual gospel stuff. I was discouraged by this.

Today a sister gave a talk and in it she talked about trying to explain a testimony to their 3 year old son. She mentioned the simple wording she used. This made me reflect back on what I had said to my class. "A testimony is what we KNOW to be TRUE." Then I thought, of course! They got to concept. They had a testimony of DS games and barbies. Granted it wasn't the spiritual overflow I was hoping for but they got the concept.

I know they have their own little testimonies. And I hope by sharing them every month in our class it will help them weed out the temporal stuff and put in the spiritual stuff. But the sisters talk today really gave me perspective. Their testimonies may not have been what I was thinking but they understood the concept. For that I am thankful!

No comments: