Sunday, September 27, 2009

Long Update

I promised an update and as I look at my calender for the upcoming week I see this is my only time to do it.

School
Like I mentioned before I finished my first week of massage school and it is more amazing that I could have ever imagines. Have you ever felt like you were searching? Searching for a place where you belong and fit in and don't have to worry about hiding a certain aspect of yourself. If not, that is awesome! But if you have, we were in the same boat. I have lots of jobs and lots of majors and a couple colleges under my belt but still no feeling like I belonged. Finally I do!

I go T,W, Th from 6-10 and you would think after working 8hrs, helping Aiden with her homework, driving an hour then going to class for 4 hrs it would be hard to pay attention but it isn't. It is such interesting subjects and it is very hands on. I took Anatomy at EKU so some stuff is a review. But now we are not only learning names but we are feeling what/where things are.

It is a very, what I affectionately like to call, Hippy Dippy type place. We meditate at the beginning of each class. We spend most of the time barefoot. And our lectures take place sitting in a circle on the floor on Indian blankets. But the best thing is the family we have there. I know it has just been a short time but we already refer to each other as Ohana (Hawaiian for family). I can't wait to learn more. It has already helped me so much in my life and being more calm and centered. Of course I have a ways to go, a long ways in fact but I know it will be a good journey.

Girls Weekend
Aiden is always a little sad when I go to Lexington to hang out with friends. I usually go once a week and often don't leave till 6 or 7 so I'm only really gone for about an hour before she goes to sleep. Now with school taking up more of my time I try to make special time for Aiden. I know this 14 months in school will be hard but I know the end result (steady income and being able to provide independently for Aiden) will the be worth it. But I don't want her to feel neglected in the process.

So, this Saturday we went to Lexington and hung out with Sara and Wyatt (yes, we invited him to girls weekend :) ) First we went and painted pottery. Aiden picked out 2 Halloween pieces, Sara did a tiny vase and I did a mug. I can't wait to see how they turn out!! When we get them back I will post pictures. We then hung out at Sara's and played some games till it was time to meet Wyatt for dinner.

Aiden had gotten a coupon from school (free kids dinner with purchase of adult dinner) for Johnny Carino's. So off we went. We all liked our food except Aiden who wasn't pleased with her high class Mac & Cheese. I suppose Kraft powdered box mac & cheese has spoiled her. Then we rushed back to Sara's to watch UK get slaughtered by Florida. Aiden I only stayed for about an hour of the game and then we went home.

Aiden had a great time and misses "Aunt" Sara and "Uncle" Wyatt already. I'm thinking next month we can do the corn maze and pumpkin patch at Kelley Farm. We didn't get to go last year and HAVE to make it this year. My only goal is to plan it so it doesn't interfere with the UK game for whatever Saturday we choose.

Primary Program
This Sunday was also the primary program for Richmond Ward. The Primary Program is an annual (I think) event in which the children from 3-11 prepare a program for the whole congregation. I teach the little ones and they were responsible for going up to the pulpit and reading a scripture. They did SO great!!! I whispered it in their ear and they had good volume. The bigger kids wrote their own talks on assigned subjects and then they all sang some Primary songs. They were so awesome!! Even Aiden got up and said her scripture. Granted, I bribed her with chocolate but I'll take it.

Afterwards we had some fun games in Primary and I let them have a free day in class. They got to sit where ever they wanted and we just talked and had fun. I mean, we usually have fun but I try to get a lesson in there too. Today was just about enjoying how well they did. They are such a great group of kids. I am lucky that the parents let me spend time with them each Sunday.

This week one of the boys in my class had a new brother born. They don't have a name yet so I thought it would be fun for the kids (3-5 year olds) to give them some ideas. I don't remember them all but some were: Girl, Daddy, Joe and my personal favorite, Tooth (Kristin, if you read this, Tooth was courtesy of Rachael). Like I said, they are such special kids.


I hope that gets everyone up to date. I have another busy week but I'm sure I'll blog more often when I get into the swing of things.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Thanks for the update! I'm so glad you are enjoying massage school... that sounds awesome. Like practically everyone else you know, I hereby volunteer for you to practice on anytime. :)

And that actually doesn't surprise me that much that Rachael would pick "Tooth" as a name. That sounds exactly like something she would do. She has a toy fish named "Pink-and-white Buddy" and a toy dog named "Spotty." You are an amazing Sunbeam teacher!